Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Full Moon = Lunacy

There is a full moon tonight.  If you are a teacher, you already know this without looking skyward.


I have no logical scientific reason to believe that a full moon causes excess energy and misbehavior in children.  And I don't really even need science to back me up.  I have 12 years of being a teacher as my evidence.  There is a correlation.

There have been countless times when I have been standing around a group of teachers who are complaining that their class is acting wilder than they typically do or is getting into more mischief, only to realize that the moon is full.  Then, you generally hear "Ahhh...I should've known."

If you aren't a teacher or family member of a teacher, you may be skeptical.  My husband has certainly been convinced over the last 12 years.  Today, during my planning period he sent me a text message asking how my day was going. I replied....

It's ok, but my kids are so wild today!  I think they get wilder during the winter. I am ready for summer weather.

He replied...

"You know it's a full moon tonight, right?"

I actually Googled this phenomenon known as "The Lunar Effect" to see if researchers had ever studied it.  They have.  Multiple times.  Most of the research doesn't prove that the stage of the moon has any bearing on human behavior.  They even go so far as to call "The Lunar Effect" a myth!  

Research....Smeesearch!

Poo on you, researchers!

I've got all the research they need.  They should just come into my kindergarten classroom on a new moon or a crescent moon or a waxing gibbous or any other kind of moon and see how calm and orderly my kids are.  And then step inside it again during a full moon.  I bet those researchers would change their little tune then. 

The Lunar Effect is not rational.  It's not logical.  It's not scientific.  It makes no sense.  But it's real.

Where do you think the words lunatic and lunacy came from?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not just teachers realize this but those in the medical field and those who deal with specific "issues" in life that are hard to control! I fully agree with you...it makes a difference. My migraines were usually on a full moon. Lol (but it's really not that funny!)

Betsy said...

My husband is a teacher. He can relate. By the way, we have three girls! What's up with this non-sharing of genders within the family? :)

Lisa said...

I sooooo remember those days from when I was teaching preschool. The kids absolutely get wild - no doubt about it!

Anonymous said...

I found your site (I'm not a teacher) while researching this topic today. Our two girls ages 5 and 7 behaved worse last night than they ever have. I spoke to a friend today and she said her twin boys (3) were really rotten too. I'm going to pay a lot more attention to the moon phases now...